Dear members of the Celestia community!
We’d like to introduce our Celestia Origin project whose goal is to upgrade Celestia 1.6.1 with the most current information about celestial bodies without modifying the source code. This project is the largest one of its kind in the Russian Internet.
Our team is constantly monitoring space-related news and publications to collect the latest information about known space objects as well as scientific theories. As the result, we have created a unique assembly of Celestia add-ons. Most of the work has been done by the team members, while the rest was acquired from other parties. Each celestial body in our assembly has been updated with all available information, including physical and orbital parameters, alternative naming and topographic locations where available.
Project’s home page is located at https://vk.com/celestiaorigin
- Artyom Goncharov aka Art Blos - founder and head of the project, main developer of the collection, group administrator;
- Artyom Volgin aka Zemlyanin - creator of tools for automatic data collection and creator of several unique add-ons, consultant for various scientific issues, help in complex calculations;
- Askaniy Anpilogov aka Askaniy - creator of textures, models and locations, main helper with ideas;
- Greg Frieger - creator of the largest database of minor body shapes (https://space.frieger.com/asteroids/), helper utilities and scripts;
- Anton Sobolev aka Vision - project promotion and support.
The latest version (published on December 30th 2018) includes:
- 9 planets (including a hypothetical one);
- 200 planetary moons (with 4 hypothetical ones);
- 5 dwarf planets;
- 9 moons of dwarf planets;
- 3434 asteroids (including 22 binary and 1 trinary);
- 64 moons of asteroids;
- 1124 comets;
- About 2 million stars of the Milky Way;
- 38195 stars outside the Milky Way;
- 3839 exoplanets + 1 exomoon, 4 rogue planets and 1 hypothetical;
- 10943 galaxies;
- 373 globular clusters;
- 1073 open clusters;
- 33 nebulae;
- 69 spacecrafts.
1. Use the attached torrent file or the direct link to download the add-on;
2. Download and install Celestia 1.6.1 from https://celestia.space/download.html ;
3. Unpack and launch “Install.bat” script under administrator’s account (using context menu) and wait for it to complete. Note: the script deletes some of the files from the vanilla Celestia installation, so consider making a backup copy of Celestia installation folder if needed;
4. Unpack and overwrite the content of add-on’s Celestia folder into Celestia installation folder;
5. We’d recommend to run a disk defragmentation before starting the updated Celestia for the first time.