Page 3 of 3

Posted: 04.09.2003, 20:32
by t00fri
jamarsa wrote:
t00fri wrote:Many thanks, Don, for reproducing the relevant protion of the NYT article. Even in my almost "downtown" environment, it is about 5-10 miles to the nearest NYT;-). I usually read the NYT when I am sitting in planes...


Ahem... I was reading the online edition, available even in your downtown environment (and mine). 8)

Here is the article.


Oops!! A little too late..


Javier,

this is blundly unfair;-))

Bye Fridger

Posted: 04.09.2003, 20:44
by don
jamarsa wrote:Thanks for your remark, don. But the current configuration seems to be stable, doesn't it?
You're welcome.

If one considers expanding and accelerating to be "stable", then I would guess yes. I would also fathom a guess that if any one of our four dimensions decided to become "unstable", at that instant we would no longer exist to even know the difference.


jamarsa wrote:However, as time is counted as a dimension too, I'm not sure if 'duration' can be seen as a correct measure...

How else would you measure time?

Posted: 04.09.2003, 21:02
by t00fri
So, thanks to you Javier and Don, I am now an inscribed onlide reader of NYT;-), 5-10 miles away from the nearest NYT hardcopy (forgetting about my printer;-))

The string theory article is in fact well worth reading and also not too hard to understand.

Bye Fridger

Posted: 04.09.2003, 22:30
by don
t00fri wrote:The vaccination in turn was considered the cause for this progressive and extremely rare neuronal infection.

Ayyyyyyyyyyy!!! I didn't know this. Something that was supposed to keep him healthy made him diseased for the rest of his life?! :x Grrrrrrr. That is soooooo sad!

Thank you for sharing these memories of your time spent with Stephen. It is amazing how he has overcome each obstacle placed in front of him, one by one. All but the one to be last, of course <sigh>. He is definately an inspiration to anyone who wants to live and push through their existing obstacles.

-Don G.

Posted: 04.09.2003, 23:23
by Christophe
don wrote:Thank you for sharing these memories of your time spent with Stephen. It is amazing how he has overcome each obstacle placed in front of him, one by one. All but the one to be last, of course <sigh>. He is definately an inspiration to anyone who wants to live and push through their existing obstacles.


In 'Black Holes and Baby Universes' he talks at length of his illness, its evolution and impact on his life. He does talk about it with a good deal of british phlegm, it is such an awful disease and he's so cold and lucid about it, it's almost scary.

He's a very extra-ordinary man indeed.

Posted: 06.09.2003, 07:42
by don
Stephen Hawking also has a web site: http://www.hawking.org.uk/.

Posted: 06.09.2003, 14:15
by t00fri
don wrote:Stephen Hawking also has a web site: http://www.hawking.org.uk/.


Thanks Don, this is most instructive. Apparently the origin of his MND disease is finally not from the said vaccination but actually just manifested itself gradually, like M.S. does, too.

However, back in Cambridge, extremely little was known about the origin of this rare disease, and the "official speculation" was indeed that in his case it was caused via the vaccination.

Bye Fridger

Posted: 06.09.2003, 19:46
by don
t00fri wrote:Thanks Don, this is most instructive. Apparently the origin of his MND disease is finally not from the said vaccination but actually just manifested itself gradually, like M.S. does, too.

You're welcome Fridger. Lots of info and links on his site. Listening to a couple of his lectures was a real treat too.

Glad to know it wasn't the vaccination that caused the ALS/MND, but that doesn't make it any less horrible <sigh>.

-Don G.