Measuring time in the Forum;-)

General physics and astronomy discussions not directly related to Celestia
Avatar
Topic author
t00fri
Developer
Posts: 8772
Joined: 29.03.2002
Age: 17
With us: 17 years 8 months
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Measuring time in the Forum;-)

Post #1by t00fri » 27.06.2003, 07:25

Such a discussion board seems quite a lot of fun ahead...

The role of time and its precise measurement is of central importance in Physics and Astronomy.

So it would be GREAT if after all, Chris could come around and set the time in this forum correctly;-)

Bye bye Fridger

Borg Collective
Posts: 243
Joined: 24.11.2002
With us: 17 years
Location: Delta Quadrant

Post #2by Borg Collective » 27.06.2003, 08:48

To the individual designated as "t00fri":

The individual designated as Chris has achieved perfection when it comes to these forums. You have to modify the settings of your Profile to fit your needs.
Last edited by Borg Collective on 27.06.2003, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
What am I doing? Ah, nothing much. Just laying on my bed, watching the stars, and sky, and keep asking myself: 'Where the Hell is my Roof?'.

Borg Collective
Posts: 243
Joined: 24.11.2002
With us: 17 years
Location: Delta Quadrant

Post #3by Borg Collective » 27.06.2003, 08:55

It does work for us...
What am I doing? Ah, nothing much. Just laying on my bed, watching the stars, and sky, and keep asking myself: 'Where the Hell is my Roof?'.

Avatar
Topic author
t00fri
Developer
Posts: 8772
Joined: 29.03.2002
Age: 17
With us: 17 years 8 months
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post #4by t00fri » 27.06.2003, 09:12

Borg Collective wrote:To the individual designated as "t00fri":

The individual designated as Chris has achieved perfection when it comes o these forums. You have to modify the settings of your Profile to fit your needs.


What do you mean? I have requested in my profile GMT+2h = MEST

However the display is by some fraction of an hour incorrect in all browsers!

e.g. this post has been booked at 11:12 MEST while it is actually 11:30 MEST...

In the profile I am only supposed to select the /timezone/ which usually allows only to make time adjustments by integer numbers of hours...

Bye Fridger

Avatar
Topic author
t00fri
Developer
Posts: 8772
Joined: 29.03.2002
Age: 17
With us: 17 years 8 months
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post #5by t00fri » 27.06.2003, 09:53

For some reason, /now/ the Forum time is more or less OK...Just 3 minutes late.

It's now 11:56 MEST according to my time demon

Bye Fridger

Rassilon
Posts: 1887
Joined: 29.01.2002
With us: 17 years 10 months
Location: Altair

Post #6by Rassilon » 27.06.2003, 14:35

That lag is the time it takes you to log in Fridger :mrgreen:
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

chris
Site Admin
Posts: 4211
Joined: 28.01.2002
With us: 17 years 10 months
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA

Post #7by chris » 27.06.2003, 16:27

t00fri wrote:For some reason, /now/ the Forum time is more or less OK...Just 3 minutes late.

It's now 11:56 MEST according to my time demon


That's because all your complaining about the incorrect time on the forum finally paid off :) I just fixed the system time on http://www.shatters.net . . .

--Chris

Avatar
Topic author
t00fri
Developer
Posts: 8772
Joined: 29.03.2002
Age: 17
With us: 17 years 8 months
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post #8by t00fri » 27.06.2003, 16:35

Rassilon wrote:That lag is the time it takes you to log in Fridger :mrgreen:


No no Ras'. I am continuously logged in. There are 3 minutes lag between shatters.net time and my ultra precise time demon. These were however not my main concern. It seems that Chris did adjust something meanwhile (perhaps after returning from a Mars observing session in the Seattle dawn??;-))

As of this morning, the forum time display is OK modulo these not so essential 3 minutes...

In case you are aware of Nobel prize winner Steve Weinberg's famous book: "The first three minutes (...after the Big Bang)", you might appreciate that even in three minutes a lot of essential physics can happen;-))


-----------hey stop----

I had overlooked Chris' revealing post just above mine. So my theory was correct;-) He had been secretly turning 'the knobs' (with 3' lag left for later iterations)
------------------------

Bye Fridger

Avatar
Topic author
t00fri
Developer
Posts: 8772
Joined: 29.03.2002
Age: 17
With us: 17 years 8 months
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post #9by t00fri » 27.06.2003, 16:53

Since this thread seems to be an /efficient/ place to make Chris tacitly correct a few longtime issues (see above;-)),

here is another suggestion:

For people who want to see again and again, how cool Chris is snowboarding in Whistler etc, there is now a big frustration ahead:

Clicking at the Celestia home page: on 'Shatters.net' gives persistently

Fatal error: Failed opening required '../config/config.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in /var/www/html/functions/global.php on line 16

Again a leftover - it seems - of the "Big Hack"...

Bye Fridger;-)

chris
Site Admin
Posts: 4211
Joined: 28.01.2002
With us: 17 years 10 months
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA

Post #10by chris » 27.06.2003, 17:41

t00fri wrote:Clicking at the Celestia home page: on 'Shatters.net' gives persistently

Fatal error: Failed opening required '../config/config.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in /var/www/html/functions/global.php on line 16


There . . . that's fixed now too.

--Chris

chris
Site Admin
Posts: 4211
Joined: 28.01.2002
With us: 17 years 10 months
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA

Post #11by chris » 27.06.2003, 18:22

t00fri wrote:No no Ras'. I am continuously logged in. There are 3 minutes lag between shatters.net time and my ultra precise time demon. These were however not my main concern. It seems that Chris did adjust something meanwhile (perhaps after returning from a Mars observing session in the Seattle dawn??;-))

Actually, my last session was deep sky observing from a location two hours east of Seattle, where the limiting magnitude was at least 6.0. M13 was visible unaided. We spent most of the night looking at the extremely rich areas around Sagittarius and Scorpius . . . Absolutely unbelievable! It took me forever to get to M22 because I kept being distracted by other objects that passed through my field of view--the Lagoon and Trifid nebulae, M28, and the open clusters M6 and M7. I never expected such great viewing so near the horizon--at 47.5N, these objects are always fairly low in the sky. Anyhow I'm sure we'll have some cloudy nights here soon, and my focus will return to computational astronomy.

--Chris

Avatar
Topic author
t00fri
Developer
Posts: 8772
Joined: 29.03.2002
Age: 17
With us: 17 years 8 months
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post #12by t00fri » 27.06.2003, 20:26

chris wrote:
t00fri wrote:No no Ras'. I am continuously logged in. There are 3 minutes lag between shatters.net time and my ultra precise time demon. These were however not my main concern. It seems that Chris did adjust something meanwhile (perhaps after returning from a Mars observing session in the Seattle dawn??;-))
Actually, my last session was deep sky observing from a location two hours east of Seattle, where the limiting magnitude was at least 6.0. M13 was visible unaided. We spent most of the night looking at the extremely rich areas around Sagittarius and Scorpius . . . Absolutely unbelievable! It took me forever to get to M22 because I kept being distracted by other objects that passed through my field of view--the Lagoon and Trifid nebulae, M28, and the open clusters M6 and M7. I never expected such great viewing so near the horizon--at 47.5N, these objects are always fairly low in the sky. Anyhow I'm sure we'll have some cloudy nights here soon, and my focus will return to computational astronomy.

--Chris


Great you got such spectacular views of the southern milky way so high up north. What bugs me is that you are still 6 degrees south of me!. What is the size of the deep sky field you would get typically? 2 degrees or more? When you say '6.0 limiting magnitude' you probably mean 'naked eye limited mag'? This is not spectacular but pretty well usable. In Switzerland at 1850m altitude in our summer 'residence', I typically get around 7.0...with a 8" telescope this is really great. I can see the spiral arms of m51 and even 'sense' some slight colors...

Bye Fridger




Do you have 2" eyepieces?


Return to “Physics and Astronomy”

Who is online