Any end-to-end tutorial for adding a ship?

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
authormoreau
With us: 8 days 9 hours

Any end-to-end tutorial for adding a ship?

Post #1by authormoreau » 10.09.2019, 15:25

I'm a novelist and I thought it'd be super cool to be able to fly my own ship in 3 dimensional space. I'm good with 3D design software (C4D & 3dsMax) as well as Photoshop, but I am hopeless at coding. Are there any tutorials on just quickly getting a ship model imported and working in Celestia?

I'll be perfectly honest, if it's super involved I'll never end up doing it as I want to but just don't have the spare time. I'd really like to do this, so hoping there's a tutorial that can walk me through it without having to spend days learning new skills. Thanks!

pirogronian
Developer
With us: 1 year 8 months

Post #2by pirogronian » 10.09.2019, 15:38

The only thing I can recall is official Celx manual. However, interactive flying in Celestia is possible only as abstract observer. On the other hand, any 3d model have to be assigned to a static trajectory.

selden
Developer
With us: 17 years

Post #3by selden » 12.09.2019, 22:07

It's probably best to think of Celestia as being a 3D display program. It isn't designed to make it easy to fly spacecraft interactively, although it can be done in principle.

If you want an interactive spaceflight simulator, you might consider either Orbiter (free, Windows only) or Kerbal Space Program (not free; Win, Mac, Linux). Both implement real orbital dynamics, but Orbiter is much less forgiving. Many tutorials are available for both of them. KSP2 supposedly will be available RealSoonNow.

Some documentation about creating models for Celestia is available at
https://www.classe.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/modelling.html

Briefly, Celestia can directly display models written in the old 3DS format. Plugins have been written for Blender and Anim8or for exporting to Celestia's proprietary CMOD format. There's also a utility program (CMODMESH?) which supposedly can translate other 3D formats into CMOD, but I've never gotten it to work. Other people apparently have, though.
Selden

JasonBrister33
With us: 5 days 16 hours

Post #4by JasonBrister33 » 13.09.2019, 08:45

Oh, yes I can help you for this matter. I have experience in programming with java, c#, .Net . Since you designed it, coding just doesn't take long.

onetwothree
Developer
With us: 11 months 26 days

Post #5by onetwothree » 13.09.2019, 10:12

a spammer above

Art Blos M
With us: 2 years

Post #6by Art Blos » 13.09.2019, 10:17

onetwothree wrote:a spammer above
Really? It seems that message was not repeated and no spam links. :insane:
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

pirogronian
Developer
With us: 1 year 8 months

Post #7by pirogronian » 13.09.2019, 14:49

Art Blos wrote:Really? It seems that message was not repeated and no spam links.
But he clearly doesnt know Celestia, which is coded in c/c++. If someone is a coder, should easly estimate that. This man only advertised himself. Links can eppear in the future. It's not a spambot, I think, it's a regular spamer.

Return to “Add-on development”