Spherical Mirror Projection?

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
ImmersiveTheatres
With us: 1 year 7 months

Spherical Mirror Projection?

Post #1by ImmersiveTheatres » 09.04.2018, 14:09

Hello

I own and operate my own mobile planetarium business and Celestia 1.4.1 continues to be as important to me as Stellarium and my catalogue of fulldome (360°) films.

I use Celestia ver 1.4.1 adapted for spherical mirror projection. This version was commissioned by Discovery Dome many years ago and it is available free to its customers.

Of course 1.4.1 is an older version with limitations (and a few bugs).

It would be wonderful if an official spherical mirror projection option was incorporated into Celestia in the future. This would make Celestia of great value and interest to the large and growing number of small and medium digital dome operators around the world.

Is a version with a spherical mirror projection option perhaps already in development?

I'm not a programmer, but would love to help where I can. Please let me know if any developers would like to see a copy of the 1.4.1 spherical mirror version I have?

Thanks very much.

Mario

mmontag

Post #2by mmontag » 15.04.2018, 08:49

Hi Mario, that sounds really cool.
Would be cool to see that modified version 1.4.1, but don't happen to have a copy of the source, do you?

Matt

Topic author
ImmersiveTheatres

Post #3by ImmersiveTheatres » 18.08.2019, 13:47

Hello Matt

Apologies for my VERY late reply, but I thought I had email notifications turned on! Plus, to be honest, I didn't expect anyone to take an interest in my post, as the mobile planetarium community / industry is relatively small and the Celestia developers probably have far more important work they're busy on.

Are you still interested in seeing a copy of ver. 1.4.1 modified for spherical mirror projection?

It would be AWESOME if you (or any of the developers) could apply the same distortion to the current version and it suddenly became usable in a mobile planetarium!!

Please let me know (I have email notifications turned on now :)

Thanks very much

Regards

Mario

Janus
With us: 3 years 3 months

Post #4by Janus » 18.08.2019, 16:54

@ImmersiveTheatres

I would be very interested in acquiring a copy, both to use, and to study.
If it comes with source that be great, if not, I can try to derive what was done via compare contrast with reconstructed source.
Mostly though, I am simply curious about opengl code to do spherical projection.
Someone I trade favors with is working on a tiltpan filter for opengl to give focus depth to renderings.
This would be a nice reference point.

Janus.

EDIT: Fixed word choice.

Return to “Development”