Page 1 of 1
very annoying cloud bug
Posted: 11.06.2020, 17:05
does anybody know a fix for this?
the clouds are not sapost to glow at the day, night transision point
one of gurren's aur cir system planets have this bug
Posted: 11.06.2020, 20:01
I've seen symptoms similar to that when the clouds' PNG was in a format that Celestia doesn't understand (e.g. 16bit Alpha channel).
Which version of Celestia are you using?
Also, to make it easier for someone to help debug, please provide the cloud texture image and the SSC that you used to draw it.
Posted: 11.06.2020, 20:04
selden wrote:Which version of Celestia are you using?
ime use celestia 1.6.1
mayby convert that cloud map to jpg?
Posted: 11.06.2020, 20:12
Sorry, but Cloudmaps must be either PNG or DDS/DXT with an 8-bit transparency (Alpha) channel. Jpeg does not support the use of an Alpha channel. The Alpha channel is what defines the outlines of the clouds: the regions between the clouds must be transparent.
Posted: 11.06.2020, 21:21
selden wrote:Sorry, but Cloudmaps must be either PNG or DDS/DXT with an 8-bit transparency (Alpha) channel. Jpeg does not support the use of an Alpha channel. The Alpha channel is what defines the outlines of the clouds: the regions between the clouds must be transparent.
then how do i fix the very annoying bug
i hate it when it happens
Posted: 11.06.2020, 23:49
As I wrote previously, you need to provide a copy to the forum of the failing cloudmap surface texture image and of the SSC which you use so that an expert can examine them.
In other words, put those two files into a Zip archive and upload that Zip archive here.
Here are step-by-step instructions which assume that you're running some variant of Windows. I've gone overboard in detail below to try to help minimize confusion. Please be sure to ask if you don't understand anything I've written. I've uploaded zip files so often that I've doubtless forgotten something. Also, there are other ways to accomplish these same things.
First step: put the SSC and PNG into a zip archive file
1. Open a "file manager" window which shows your Addons folder (e.g. double-click on the folder's icon)
2. Right-mouse-button click on a blank area in that folder. A popup menu will appear.
3. Select the entry "New >" A "flyout" menu will appear.
4. Select the entry (at the bottom of that "flyout" menu) "New Compressed (zipped) Folder". A new file will appear in your Addons directory named "New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip" The file's name will be highlighted so you can change it.
5.Change the name of the zip to something appropriate. Perhaps "buggy_cloud.zip"
6. Left-mouse-button-click on (select) the SSC file which mentions your buggy cloudtexture.
7. Drag that .SSC on-top-of the icon for the.zip file. In other words, Left-mouse-button-click on the .SSC file's entry, then, still holding down the left-mouse-button, move the cursor to the .zip file's icon. This will copy the .SSC into the .zip archive file. It will not delete the original file.
8. Right-mouse-button-click on the \textures\ folder. This will open a new menu.
9. Left-mouse-button-click on the menu entry "Open in a new window". This will open a new file browser window, showing the contents of your \textures\ folder. It should show the three folders \hires\, \medres\ and \lores\
10. Open (double-click on) the folder which contains your cloudtexture image.
11. Copy that image into the.zip file: follow instructions 6 & 7 above, but for the .png instead of the .ssc file. You might need to rearrange your desktop windows so both file icons are visible at the same time.
Second step: upload the Zip file to the forum
1. Open your browser to this thread on the Celestia Forum.
2. scroll down in your browser window to the "Quick Reply" button.
3. select the button "Full Editor & Preview". The browser will open a new window which shows a "Post a Reply" window which has more options.
4. Left-mouse-button-click (select) the Zip file that is in your \Addons\ folder
5. Left-mouse-button-drag the Zip file to the browser's "Post a Reply" window. The "Post a Reply" window will have a dashed outline until you release the Left-mouse-button.
6. Left-mouse-button-click (select) the button "Place inline" which is beneath the browser's "Post a Reply" window. A like of text will appear in the "Post a Reply" window naming the uploaded file.
7. Add any comments that you'd like to make in the "Post a Reply" window.
8. Left-mouse-button-click (select) the button "Submit" which is beneath the browser's "Post a Reply" window.
9. The browser's window will refresh, showing the thread including your new post (containing the zip file) at the end of the thread.
Zip and upload are complete.
Posted: 12.06.2020, 00:45
To save Selden some time (maybe I should have said this earlier...), I'll note that the addon trappistplanets
is seeing this bug in (Aur Cir) is available here
, and AFAIK the addon works correctly for everyone else who's used it. At least it works for me.
Posted: 12.06.2020, 03:04
Oh fyi, Trappist wont be able to post the cloud texture, because as noted in the core readme (probs) and on the DeviantArt page, it actually belongs to Steve Bowers (usage in the addon was with credit and permission), so you have to ask him first.
Posted: 12.06.2020, 06:19
Wait isn't that planet in Aur Cir?
Posted: 12.06.2020, 11:30
Trolligi 112477 wrote:Wait isn't that planet in Aur Cir?
Posted: 12.06.2020, 14:57
Of course it is, Trolligi.
Posted: 12.06.2020, 19:59
can someone just help me fix the bug please?
Posted: 13.06.2020, 01:33
i see a bug like this when the cloud speed is NOT set to 0 ( zero) on large cloud textures
check the ssc file and see if the cloud speed is 0 or not
Posted: 13.06.2020, 17:42
Actually, the Vyasan cloud texture (again, by Steve, with permission) is 4k (because of limitations on my PC), and the cloud texture is not 0 - but it works for me on 1.6.1 PC, 1.7.0 PC (I'm not an 1.6.2 PC tester), and 1.7.0 Android.
Posted: 13.06.2020, 19:11
John Van Vliet wrote:i see a bug like this when the cloud speed is NOT set to 0 ( zero) on large cloud textures
the way gurren set up the aur cir planet ssc is confusing
Posted: 14.06.2020, 01:14
can you post a link to the thread / the zip/rar file
then i can take a look at it ( and at the ssc file )
Posted: 14.06.2020, 11:37
John Van Vliet wrote:can you post a link to the thread / the zip/rar file
ask gurren for that
aur cir is his system not mine
Posted: 14.06.2020, 15:32
Seven posted the link before, but... viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20124
Vyasa is at Chiran-Jivi