Wrong Translation

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
Klingonk
Posts: 3
Joined: 09.10.2009
With us: 9 years 10 months
Location: Lat S 23°33' Lon W 49°33'

Wrong Translation

Post #1by Klingonk » 09.10.2009, 03:19

Celestia 1.6.0 - Language files (?)

The constellation of Capricorn was translated in Portuguese (both Pt and Br) as
Capric?nio when the right name is
Capric?rnio.
I searched for this word inside Celestia files and found it twice only in Portuguese Pt and Br language's files.
I simply changed them, save the files, restart Celestia and after that no name in Portuguese was shown. The application simply discarded both language packages showing only the Latin names.
Changing back the files to its original content did not work. So I did installed Celestia again and got the names working again although wrong.
I do not know why it was like this (maybe some file packaging check).

I would like to suggest the correction.

Thanks to all contributors that built this wonder!

klingonk
Never too old to learn....

Vincent
Posts: 1356
Joined: 07.01.2005
With us: 14 years 7 months
Location: Nancy, France

Re: Wrong Translation

Post #2by Vincent » 09.10.2009, 16:19

klingonk,

What editor did you use to modify the .po files?
And what is your Operating System ?
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

Topic author
Klingonk
Posts: 3
Joined: 09.10.2009
With us: 9 years 10 months
Location: Lat S 23°33' Lon W 49°33'

Re: Wrong Translation

Post #3by Klingonk » 09.10.2009, 17:04

Vincent:

I used the windows notepad.
I did not change a .po file. There is no .po files that I could find, related to Celestia.
I Changed in fact .mo files.
My operating system is:Win XP-Pro SP3.
Never too old to learn....

Vincent
Posts: 1356
Joined: 07.01.2005
With us: 14 years 7 months
Location: Nancy, France

Re: Wrong Translation

Post #4by Vincent » 09.10.2009, 17:45

Klingonk wrote:Vincent:

I used the windows notepad.
I did not change a .po file. There is no .po files that I could find, related to Celestia.
I Changed in fact .mo files.
My operating system is:Win XP-Pro SP3.
Klingonk,

Since .mo files are binary, you can't edit them using a simple text editor.
You may want to try reading the Celestia Internationalization page on the Celestia Wikibook,
and more particularly the following chapters:
    1- Getting .po files
    2- Editing .po files

Once you've edited your pt.po file using poedit, just click the "save catalog" button to create
your revised mo file. Then, just rename it as celestia_constellations.mo and place it in the
locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/ dir.
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

Topic author
Klingonk
Posts: 3
Joined: 09.10.2009
With us: 9 years 10 months
Location: Lat S 23°33' Lon W 49°33'

Re: Wrong Translation

Post #5by Klingonk » 09.10.2009, 18:19

Thanks for your support!
It worked great.
I am making some work around fixing some translation strange Terms.
Never too old to learn....

Vincent
Posts: 1356
Joined: 07.01.2005
With us: 14 years 7 months
Location: Nancy, France

Re: Wrong Translation

Post #6by Vincent » 10.10.2009, 07:39

Klingonk wrote:Thanks for your support!
It worked great.
You're welcome.

Klingonk wrote:I am making some work around fixing some translation strange Terms.
Great! Please, submit your changes to our Portuguese translator.
You should find his contact on the Celestia Internationalization page.
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3


Return to “Bugs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 4 guests