Mouse problems

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
thefallenghost
Posts: 42
Joined: 08.05.2009
With us: 10 years 3 months

Mouse problems

Post #1by thefallenghost » 12.09.2009, 20:02

When I try to move around an object with the right mouse button, I usually end up having the cursor behind the Celestia window, and then when I click, it usually freezes the Celestia... Sometimes even a left click in the 3D window of Celestia freezes it completely. This is VERY annoying. Could someone please tell me
what's wrong?

BobHegwood
Posts: 1803
Joined: 12.10.2007
With us: 11 years 10 months

Re: Mouse problems

Post #2by BobHegwood » 12.09.2009, 23:04

thefallenghost wrote:When I try to move around an object with the right mouse button, I usually end up having the cursor behind the Celestia window, and then when I click, it usually freezes the Celestia... Sometimes even a left click in the 3D window of Celestia freezes it completely. This is VERY annoying. Could someone please tell me
what's wrong?

Don't know about your system my friend, but the mouse has not worked correctly on my Vista system
since 1.5.0 I believe. I have simply been using the Shift and arrow keys to perform the normal mouse
functions.

I had supposed that this was just a problem with my own Vista system. No?
Just FYI here Chris and Selden.

Thanks, Brain-Dead
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

Topic author
thefallenghost
Posts: 42
Joined: 08.05.2009
With us: 10 years 3 months

Re: Mouse problems

Post #3by thefallenghost » 12.09.2009, 23:25

Well, for me it has started behaving this way since the first 160 release candidate that I installed (RC3).

Avatar
John Van Vliet
Posts: 2712
Joined: 28.08.2002
With us: 16 years 11 months

Re: Mouse problems

Post #4by John Van Vliet » 13.09.2009, 00:54

--- edit ---
Last edited by John Van Vliet on 21.10.2013, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.

BobHegwood
Posts: 1803
Joined: 12.10.2007
With us: 11 years 10 months

Re: Mouse problems

Post #5by BobHegwood » 13.09.2009, 11:44

john Van Vliet wrote:the mouse works " just fine" on my `ancient` dell 8200 with a nvidia GF mx 400 ( 8 years old )

some system specs would be VERY helpful
your OS?
your 3d card , or built-in pseudo 3d chip ( some built in will need more HARDWARE to run celestia).
What driver you are using ( for the nvidia/ ATI card) ? the version NO.
Did you install the driver from " Windows Updates" or form there web site ?

My Crystal Ball is on the "Fritz" so i can not GUESS .

If you are talking to me, John, see my signature for specs. :wink:
I have updated from Windows, but this was to see if the problem was
occurring from Nvidia itself. Will have to see about the driver number.

Will try to update from Nvidia again.
Thanks for the advice though... :D
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

Topic author
thefallenghost
Posts: 42
Joined: 08.05.2009
With us: 10 years 3 months

Re: Mouse problems

Post #6by thefallenghost » 13.09.2009, 12:33

I'm running XP, but I don't know what's my graphic card...

Avatar
selden
Developer
Posts: 10067
Joined: 04.09.2002
With us: 16 years 11 months
Location: NY, USA

Re: Mouse problems

Post #7by selden » 13.09.2009, 14:18

thefallenghost wrote:I'm running XP, but I don't know what's my graphic card...

Run Celestia
Open its Help manu
Select OpenGL Info

Your graphics hardware is described in the second line. That line starts with "Renderer:"
Selden

Topic author
thefallenghost
Posts: 42
Joined: 08.05.2009
With us: 10 years 3 months

Re: Mouse problems

Post #8by thefallenghost » 13.09.2009, 14:51

Ok, that's my graphic card info from Celestia:
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Renderer: Radeon X1600/X1650 Series

Version: 2.1.7769 Release

GLSL version: 1.20

Max simultaneous textures: 8

Max texture size: 4096

Max cube map size: 4096

Point size range: 1.000000 - 63.000000

wieslaw531
Posts: 2
Joined: 01.10.2009
Age: 68
With us: 9 years 10 months
Location: POLAND Halinow

Re: Mouse problems

Post #9by wieslaw531 » 01.10.2009, 18:49

BobHegwood wrote:
thefallenghost wrote:When I try to move around an object with the right mouse button, I usually end up having the cursor behind the Celestia window, and then when I click, it usually freezes the Celestia... Sometimes even a left click in the 3D window of Celestia freezes it completely. This is VERY annoying. Could someone please tell me
what's wrong?

Don't know about your system my friend, but the mouse has not worked correctly on my Vista system
since 1.5.0 I believe. I have simply been using the Shift and arrow keys to perform the normal mouse
functions.


I had supposed that this was just a problem with my own Vista system. No?
Just FYI here Chris and Selden.

Thanks, Brain-Dead

This is my first post. I am sorry, my english is bad.

I am using Vista Ultimate x64 PL on ASUS monitor MW221u with default resolution 1680x1050. I must change default font resolution from 96 DPI to 120 DPI.

Image

Left and Right Click mouse + Move is not working properly on all versions of Celestia from 1.4.1 to 1.6.0 on VISTA x64 systems.

When I do that : Celestia.exe -> Properties -> Compatibility (Polish version screenshot):

Image

Mouse is working properlly.

BTW

I can`t use shortcuts "SHIFT+R" and "R".
Last edited by wieslaw531 on 01.10.2009, 19:46, edited 2 times in total.
Vista Ultimate x64 SP2, ASUS M3A79-T DeLuxe, AMD Phenom II x4 940 BE, Kingston HyperX CL4 DDR2 800 2048 MBx4, Seagate ST3320620AS, Seagate ST3500320AS, WD 120 GB, BeQuiet SP 650W, ASUS EN8800GTS/HTDP/640M/A, ASUS MW221U, ASUS DRW-1814BLT.

Avatar
selden
Developer
Posts: 10067
Joined: 04.09.2002
With us: 16 years 11 months
Location: NY, USA

Re: Mouse problems

Post #10by selden » 01.10.2009, 19:05

wieslaw531 wrote:I can`t use shortcuts "SHIFT+R" and "R".

That is intentional. They are now in the menu Render / Texture Resolution
(Sorry I don't know the Polish translation)

Someone else will have to comment on the mouse issue: it works fine under XP.

Is anyone running Celestia under Win7? Does that have a similar problem?
Selden

wieslaw531
Posts: 2
Joined: 01.10.2009
Age: 68
With us: 9 years 10 months
Location: POLAND Halinow

Re: Mouse problems

Post #11by wieslaw531 » 01.10.2009, 19:35

selden wrote:
wieslaw531 wrote:I can`t use shortcuts "SHIFT+R" and "R".

That is intentional. They are now in the menu Render / Texture Resolution
(Sorry I don't know the Polish translation)

Someone else will have to comment on the mouse issue: it works fine under XP.

Is anyone running Celestia under Win7? Does that have a similar problem?

Thank You Selden
I know that. But why it is not posible to using Shift+R and R. Is it reserved to another function.
In Polish translation of Celestia (Help -> Controls) that shortcut is acitive.
Previous shortcuts were very simple and good (prior to ver. 1.6.0).
Vista Ultimate x64 SP2, ASUS M3A79-T DeLuxe, AMD Phenom II x4 940 BE, Kingston HyperX CL4 DDR2 800 2048 MBx4, Seagate ST3320620AS, Seagate ST3500320AS, WD 120 GB, BeQuiet SP 650W, ASUS EN8800GTS/HTDP/640M/A, ASUS MW221U, ASUS DRW-1814BLT.

Avatar
selden
Developer
Posts: 10067
Joined: 04.09.2002
With us: 16 years 11 months
Location: NY, USA

Re: Mouse problems

Post #12by selden » 01.10.2009, 19:58

Unfortunately, the keyboard shortcut is expected to be needed for a different command in the next version of Celestia.

There is hope that the next version of Celestia also will allow people to easily remap the keyboard.
(It already is possible if you write some Lua (CelX) code, but CelX scripts are fragile.)

Apparently some of the localized versions of the help files did not get updated.
Maybe that can happen for v1.6.1.
Selden


Return to “Bugs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 2 guests