Dear members of the Celestia community!
We’d like to introduce our Celestia Origin project whose goal is to upgrade Celestia 1.6.1 with the most current information about celestial bodies without modifying the source code. This project is the largest one of its kind in the Russian Internet.
Our team is constantly monitoring space-related news and publications to collect the latest information about known space objects as well as scientific theories. As the result, we have created a unique assembly of Celestia add-ons. Most of the work has been done by the team members, while the rest was acquired from other parties. Each celestial body in our assembly has been updated with all available information, including physical and orbital parameters, alternative naming and topographic locations where available.
Project’s home page is located at https://vk.com/celestiaorigin
- Artyom Goncharov aka Art Blos - founder and head of the project, main developer and tester of the collection;
- Askaniy Anpilogov aka Askaniy - creator of textures, models and locations, document translator, main helper with ideas;
- Artyom Volgin aka Zemlyanin - creator of tools for automatic data collection (minor bodies) and creator of several unique add-ons, a consultant for various scientific issues, help in complex calculations;
- Ivan Romanov aka Lepestronik - creator of the installation script for various OS;
- Greg Frieger - creator of the largest base of 3D models of the Solar system bodies, writing utilities for import to Celestia;
- Anton Sobolev aka Vision - help with deep space objects.
The latest version (published on December 30th 2019) includes:
- 9 planets (including a hypothetical one);
- 220 planetary moons (with 4 hypothetical ones);
- 5 dwarf planets;
- 9 moons of dwarf planets;
- 4008 asteroids + 23 binary and 1 trinary;
- 65 moons of asteroids;
- 1125 comets;
- 1 moon of comets;
- >2448220 stars of the Milky Way;
- 43848 stars outside the Milky Way;
- 4269 exoplanets + 4084 unconfirmed + 2 exomoons + 1 exoasteroid + 4 rogue planets;
- 10943 galaxies;
- 373 globular clusters;
- 1073 open clusters;
- 33 nebulae;
- 100 spacecrafts.
Use the attached torrent file or the direct links to download the addon’s;
- Installation instructions
- 1) Collection installation on Windows, Linux and macOS:
1.1) Download Celestia 1.6.1 distro:
- Windows: https://celestia.space/cc/celestia-win-161
- Linux: check your OS repository or use following https://bintray.com/celestia/releases-deb/celestia/view/readmore#read
Ensure that proposed Celestia's version matches with required one (1.6.1).
IMPORTANT: it's necessary to disable Celestia's packages updating to prevent installed collection damage;
- macOS: download a disk image and follow the instructions in the README
1.2) Install the program at suggested standard address (on Windows) or at any other of your choice (on Windows and macOS); Linux packages will be installed to one of standard addresses automatically;
1.3) Unpack "Installers" folder from "Core" archive file manually and place it where this file located.
If you placed "Installers" folder anywhere else or installed native Celestia to non-standart address you'd need to copy full paths to archive file (without a filename) and to installed Celestia to the command line when the corresponding requests will appear;
1.4) On Windows run Windows_Install_CO.bat as an administrator (from right-click menu);
on Linux or macOS run appropriate .sh file (on Linux you'd need to run script as a root user) after making it executable using file properties menu or the command "chmod +x <scriptname>.sh".
Follow the instructions on the screen. The backup copy of native Celestia's data will be created during the installation;
1.5) Agree to install "medres" and "hires" data if you want to achive max textures' resolution;
1.6) If you make installation to an HDD on Windows you may need to defragment it before the first launch of Celestia Origin.
Another OS' file systems don't need a defragmentation due to these systems' features.
2) Collection uninstallation and restoration of native Celestia:
2.1) Run Uninstall-script corresponding to your OS similary to 1.4) item and follow it's instructions.
Copy full path of installed Celestia to the command line when the request will appear if the script didn't find the program at it's standard location.
2.2) After Celestia's path location and detection of the backup copy the collection removing and the restoration of native data will occur.