Project "Celestia Origin", release dated December 30, 2017
Posted: 30.12.2017, 18:29
Dear members of the Celestia community!
We’d like to introduce our Celestia Origin project whose goal is to upgrade Celestia 1.6.1 with the most current information about celestial bodies without modifying the source code. This project is the largest one of its kind in the Russian Internet.
Our team is constantly monitoring space-related news and publications to collect the latest information about known space objects as well as scientific theories. As the result, we have created a unique assembly of Celestia add-ons. Most of the work has been done by the team members, while the rest was acquired from other parties. Each celestial body in our assembly has been updated with all available information, including physical and orbital parameters, alternative naming and topographic locations where available.
Project’s home page is located at https://vk.com/celestiaorigin
- Artyom Goncharov aka Art Blos - founder and head of the project, chief add-on developer and group administrator;
- Artyom Volgin aka Zemlyanin - data collection tools, add-on development and scientific advise;
- Greg Frieger - creator of the largest database of minor body shapes (https://space.frieger.com/asteroids/), helper utilities and scripts;
- Askaniy Anpilogov aka Askaniy - textures, objects and location data;
- Anton Sobolev aka Vision - project promotion and support.
The latest version (published on December 30th 2017) includes:
- 9 planets (including a hypothetical one);
- 190 planetary satellites (with 4 hypothetical ones);
- 5 dwarf planets;
- 9 dwarf moons;
- 3405 asteroids, 21 binary and 1 trinary;
- 65 minor-planet moon;
- 1123 comets;
- More than 2 million stars;
- 578 exoplanets (including a hypothetical one);
- 10937 galaxies;
- 150 globular clusters;
- 33 nebulas;
- 25 space probes.
1. Use the attached torrent file to download the add-on;
2. Download and install Celestia 1.6.1 from https://celestia.space/download.html ;
3. Launch “install.bat” script under administrator’s account (using context menu) and wait for it to complete. Note: the script deletes some of the files from the vanilla Celestia installation, so consider making a backup copy of Celestia installation folder if needed;
4. Copy and overwrite the content of add-on’s Celestia folder into Celestia installation folder;
5. Unpack hires.rar into Celestia’s \textures\hires folder;
6. We’d recommend to run a disk defragmentation before starting the updated Celestia for the first time.