Project "Celestia Origin"

The home for finished/released addons.
Avatar
FarGetaNik M
Moderator
Posts: 376
Joined: 05.06.2012
With us: 5 years 6 months
Location: Germany

Post #61by FarGetaNik » 29.09.2017, 14:02

To be honest, we would need need a mesh for Miranda. We have some topography data... http://stereomoons.blogspot.de/2009/09/mirandas-warning.html
Ariel could pass with a normal map http://stereomoons.blogspot.de/2009/08/more-ariel.html

I failed to reproject these maps into cylindrical.

Avatar
Topic author
Art Blos M
Posts: 106
Joined: 31.08.2017
Age: 25
With us: 3 months 16 days
Location: Volgodonsk, Rostov Oblast, Russia

Post #62by Art Blos » 29.09.2017, 14:38

FarGetaNik wrote:To be honest, we would need need a mesh for Miranda.
I agree, but I have not found it yet.
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

LukeCEL
Posts: 9
Joined: 26.09.2017
With us: 2 months 19 days

Post #63by LukeCEL » 30.09.2017, 21:10

Hi everyone. I was a bit late to the conversation about asteroids, but is the asteroid (162421) 2000 ET70 in the addon? It's listed in Greg Frieger's 3D Asteroid Catalogue but I couldn't find it anywhere in the file.

Luke

Avatar
Topic author
Art Blos M
Posts: 106
Joined: 31.08.2017
Age: 25
With us: 3 months 16 days
Location: Volgodonsk, Rostov Oblast, Russia

Post #64by Art Blos » 01.10.2017, 07:39

Preparation for the new release has begun!
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

Avatar
Topic author
Art Blos M
Posts: 106
Joined: 31.08.2017
Age: 25
With us: 3 months 16 days
Location: Volgodonsk, Rostov Oblast, Russia

Post #65by Art Blos » 01.10.2017, 12:22

Added 3D-model of the Iapetus with 300 thousand polygons.
Iapetus.png
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

Avatar
Topic author
Art Blos M
Posts: 106
Joined: 31.08.2017
Age: 25
With us: 3 months 16 days
Location: Volgodonsk, Rostov Oblast, Russia

Post #66by Art Blos » 02.10.2017, 16:49

Added new 1K-textures of Uranus in the visible and infrared ranges.
Uranus.png
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

Avatar
Topic author
Art Blos M
Posts: 106
Joined: 31.08.2017
Age: 25
With us: 3 months 16 days
Location: Volgodonsk, Rostov Oblast, Russia

Post #67by Art Blos » 04.10.2017, 17:53

Added 3D-model of the Rhea with 300 thousand polygons.
Rhea.png
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

Avatar
Topic author
Art Blos M
Posts: 106
Joined: 31.08.2017
Age: 25
With us: 3 months 16 days
Location: Volgodonsk, Rostov Oblast, Russia

Post #68by Art Blos » 04.10.2017, 18:19

LukeCEL wrote:Hi everyone. I was a bit late to the conversation about asteroids, but is the asteroid (162421) 2000 ET70 in the addon? It's listed in Greg Frieger's 3D Asteroid Catalogue but I couldn't find it anywhere in the file.
Hi! Sorry, I did not immediately notice your message.
We have this asteroid. It is located with all other asteroids in one file. :smoke:
162421.png
(162421) 2000 ET70
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

Avatar
CM1215 M
Posts: 76
Joined: 30.08.2017
Age: 15
With us: 3 months 17 days
Location: Ohio, U. S. A.

Post #69by CM1215 » 04.10.2017, 18:44

By the way, I'm talking about the Rhea model.

I can't quite see in these images, but did you do something about the "no data" area at the top of the model, as well as the smaller "no data" area at the bottom of the model?? Also..could you put this model, as well as the texture you used with it, up for download, because I am interested in this.
CM1215: Celestial master in learning.

Avatar
Topic author
Art Blos M
Posts: 106
Joined: 31.08.2017
Age: 25
With us: 3 months 16 days
Location: Volgodonsk, Rostov Oblast, Russia

Post #70by Art Blos » 04.10.2017, 19:04

CM1215 wrote:I can't quite see in these images, but did you do something about the "no data" area at the top of the model, as well as the smaller "no data" area at the bottom of the model??
Yes, all the holes on the bump map we painted over with a uniform color.

CM1215 wrote:Also..could you put this model, as well as the texture you used with it, up for download, because I am interested in this.
Usually it's not in my rules to lay out the individual elements before the main release. But I can make an exception. Write to me in private messages. :smile:
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

Avatar
Topic author
Art Blos M
Posts: 106
Joined: 31.08.2017
Age: 25
With us: 3 months 16 days
Location: Volgodonsk, Rostov Oblast, Russia

Post #71by Art Blos » 05.10.2017, 17:29

Added "restored" 4K standard textures according to the Sudarsky's gas giant classification.
Sudarsky.png
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

Avatar
FarGetaNik M
Moderator
Posts: 376
Joined: 05.06.2012
With us: 5 years 6 months
Location: Germany

Post #72by FarGetaNik » 05.10.2017, 19:28

Art Blos wrote:Added 3D-model of the Rhea with 300 thousand polygons.

I checked out the model of Rhea at the asteroid catalogue, and these groves are a bit annoying. I'll stick to my crude normal map for now, Rhea isn't irregular enough to justify a mesh imo.

Avatar
Topic author
Art Blos M
Posts: 106
Joined: 31.08.2017
Age: 25
With us: 3 months 16 days
Location: Volgodonsk, Rostov Oblast, Russia

Post #73by Art Blos » 05.10.2017, 19:34

FarGetaNik wrote:I checked out the model of Rhea at the asteroid catalogue, and these groves are a bit annoying. I'll stick to my crude normal map for now, Rhea isn't irregular enough to justify a mesh imo.
The model, although not perfect, but it always has superiority over simple maps of heights.

If you turn your normals into bump, Greg will try to improve.
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

Avatar
CM1215 M
Posts: 76
Joined: 30.08.2017
Age: 15
With us: 3 months 17 days
Location: Ohio, U. S. A.

Post #74by CM1215 » 05.10.2017, 20:15

Art Blos wrote:Added "restored" 4K standard textures according to the Sudarsky's gas giant classification.

Well...now I wish I had those textures! I will be anxiously awaiting the release of the new version of this addon. :wink:

Art Blos wrote:If you turn your normals into bump, Greg will try to improve.

Does this mean that if we give you a bump map of Miranda, one of your guys could turn it into a model, or am I misunderstanding something? A model of Miranda is desperately needed, for the Voyager images show topography that cannot be acomplished by a mere bump/normal map.
CM1215: Celestial master in learning.

Avatar
FarGetaNik M
Moderator
Posts: 376
Joined: 05.06.2012
With us: 5 years 6 months
Location: Germany

Post #75by FarGetaNik » 05.10.2017, 21:29

Art Blos wrote:The model, although not perfect, but it always has superiority over simple maps of heights.

I have to disagree. For objects that don't show any non-shperical shape from a distance (anything in hydrostatic equilibrium) normals are doing the trick almost as well, while saving much disc space and hence loading time. Imagine having to load a mesh worth a 64k (1-2 GB) normal map. :eek:

Art Blos wrote:If you turn your normals into bump, Greg will try to improve.

Well I belive it is based on the same data after all. And it's the other way around, I based my normal map on a bump map. Here is what I got, at least I can retouch any irregularities easily with a texture:

rhea-bump.png


Come to think of it, does anyone have the original data from Paul Schenk? The small web jpg files are not quite perfect to use for such purposes.

CM1215 wrote:Does this mean that if we give you a bump map of Miranda, one of your guys could turn it into a model, or am I misunderstanding something

If that's the case, the data is on Paul Schenk's blog also, but I am not sure if my try on this texture is accurately projected.

Avatar
Topic author
Art Blos M
Posts: 106
Joined: 31.08.2017
Age: 25
With us: 3 months 16 days
Location: Volgodonsk, Rostov Oblast, Russia

Post #76by Art Blos » 06.10.2017, 05:35

CM1215 wrote:Does this mean that if we give you a bump map of Miranda, one of your guys could turn it into a model, or am I misunderstanding something? A model of Miranda is desperately needed, for the Voyager images show topography that cannot be acomplished by a mere bump/normal map.
Well, you've figured out our plans. :biggrin: We are going to create models of all five moons of Uranus. We will take as a basis bumps of Snowfall-The-Cat.

We still need the maximum height and maximum depth for each body. Can someone tell me? It is desirable in kilometers. :help:

FarGetaNik wrote:I have to disagree. For objects that don't show any non-shperical shape from a distance (anything in hydrostatic equilibrium) normals are doing the trick almost as well, while saving much disc space and hence loading time. Imagine having to load a mesh worth a 64k (1-2 GB) normal map.
Normals will not be able to show all the features of the relief (ridge on Iapetus, mountains on Pluto, deep craters on Tethys :wink: ). In addition, a realistic appearance from close distances is important. For bodies that are the size of Triton and smaller, the model is preferable. For larger yes, the normals are better, but for other reasons.

FarGetaNik wrote:Well I belive it is based on the same data after all. And it's the other way around, I based my normal map on a bump map. Here is what I got, at least I can retouch any irregularities easily with a texture:
Here is our map of heights. Can you move the details on your version in the same way?
rhea_heighmap.png

The main thing is that the new image did not have compression artifacts. Groves arose for this reason.

FarGetaNik wrote:If that's the case, the data is on Paul Schenk's blog also, but I am not sure if my try on this texture is accurately projected.
Maybe there is, but most likely they are also of low resolution.
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

Avatar
FarGetaNik M
Moderator
Posts: 376
Joined: 05.06.2012
With us: 5 years 6 months
Location: Germany

Post #77by FarGetaNik » 06.10.2017, 13:47

Art Blos wrote:We still need the maximum height and maximum depth for each body. Can someone tell me? It is desirable in kilometers. :help:

I encountered the same problem while calibrating the normal maps. I looked at Voyager imagery and measured the rim irregularities relative to the radius to get a topography range. I haven't saved that data though... you might also look into Snowfall's Space Engine addons, since this software also need some reference on bump magnitude (probably).

Art Blos wrote:Here is our map of heights. Can you move the details on your version in the same way?

Sure, but wouldn't this result in a misaignement? Or is the UV mapping on your model rotated? I am confused. :insane:

Art Blos wrote:The main thing is that the new image did not have compression artifacts. Groves arose for this reason.

That's certainly an advantage, but just by looking at the bump map I don't see groves, while they are obvious on the mesh. Your texture is of higher quality than mine in direct comparision. There is an artifact at the adge, I'll try to remove it and repost the texture. There is no data in higher bit depth (16bit) avaliable, right?

Art Blos wrote:Maybe there is, but most likely they are also of low resolution.

Honestly, the resolution for Ariel and Miranda is fine imo: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/__iArZbqJn9Y/SpP40yVHzFI/AAAAAAAAADM/BFCdPRkhzIo/s1600-h/ariel_ZTff.jpg https://1.bp.blogspot.com/__iArZbqJn9Y/SqkA_zzmOPI/AAAAAAAAAFs/IO8F9jkm0vM/s1600-h/miranda_D88-x2.jpg

Added after 33 minutes 40 seconds:
Here my results for Rhea:

A version with the artifacts fixed:

rhea_heighmap2.png


And a version with missing areas filled with resyntesyzed data:

rhea_heighmap-resynth.png

Avatar
Topic author
Art Blos M
Posts: 106
Joined: 31.08.2017
Age: 25
With us: 3 months 16 days
Location: Volgodonsk, Rostov Oblast, Russia

Post #78by Art Blos » 06.10.2017, 14:44

FarGetaNik wrote:I encountered the same problem while calibrating the normal maps. I looked at Voyager imagery and measured the rim irregularities relative to the radius to get a topography range. I haven't saved that data though... you might also look into Snowfall's Space Engine addons, since this software also need some reference on bump magnitude (probably).
I also have some meager data taken from Wikipedia.

FarGetaNik wrote:Sure, but wouldn't this result in a misaignement? Or is the UV mapping on your model rotated? I am confused.
Everything is normal. The fact is that we have our own standards of orientation.

FarGetaNik wrote:Honestly, the resolution for Ariel and Miranda is fine imo:
Too little data. And we can not make a ready map ourselves. It's easier to use the finished material.

FarGetaNik wrote:And a version with missing areas filled with resyntesyzed data:
Thank you so much!
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

Avatar
FarGetaNik M
Moderator
Posts: 376
Joined: 05.06.2012
With us: 5 years 6 months
Location: Germany

Post #79by FarGetaNik » 06.10.2017, 14:54

...couldn't resist. The normal map:

rhea-normal.png


And a view from Celestia :smoke:

rhea-bump.jpg

Avatar
Topic author
Art Blos M
Posts: 106
Joined: 31.08.2017
Age: 25
With us: 3 months 16 days
Location: Volgodonsk, Rostov Oblast, Russia

Post #80by Art Blos » 06.10.2017, 15:03

FarGetaNik < Instead of a thousand words. :smoke:
Rhea.jpg
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"


Return to “Add-on releases”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1 guest