bragging: celestia picture of the hour

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
krisztian
Posts: 7
Joined: 06.04.2019
With us: 2 years 1 month

bragging: celestia picture of the hour

Post #1by krisztian » 16.11.2019, 22:40

just a little bit of bragging if you don't mind. i just finished a new little feature on my blog, a random image made with celestia, changing by the hour. this is done with an amazon ec2 instance generating a bunch of images at a time using a lua script. the instance is summoned to life automatically whenever the site is running out of files. i guess i wasted way too much time on it, but hey :)

the rest of the content is pretty controversial, so reader's discretion is advised. anyway, if you want to see it, check https://www.krisztianpinter.name

Avatar
Lafuente_Astronomy
Moderator
Posts: 723
Joined: 04.08.2018
Age: 23
With us: 2 years 9 months
Location: Cebu City, Cebu Province, Philippines
Contact:

Post #2by Lafuente_Astronomy » 16.11.2019, 23:05

krisztian wrote:ust a little bit of bragging if you don't mind. i just finished a new little feature on my blog, a random image made with celestia, changing by the hour. this is done with an amazon ec2 instance generating a bunch of images at a time using a lua script. the instance is summoned to life automatically whenever the site is running out of files. i guess i wasted way too much time on it, but hey

the rest of the content is pretty controversial, so reader's discretion is advised. anyway, if you want to see it, check https://www.krisztianpinter.name

That looks good. How many images have you used for that feature though? Because if there are fewer images, there'll be more hourly repeats of the same image
Official Administrator of the Celestia Discord Server.
Invite: https://discordapp.com/invite/WEWDcJh
If you don't have a Discord account, register here: https://discordapp.com/register
Have a blessed day.

Topic author
krisztian
Posts: 7
Joined: 06.04.2019
With us: 2 years 1 month

Post #3by krisztian » 16.11.2019, 23:18

How many images have you used

i create new images as they get used up. the generator virtual machine is started every 3-4 days, as needed. the lua script iterates through 100 random objects and takes screenshots. eventually you will see the same body, but from a different angle at a different time.

Avatar
SpaceFanatic64
Posts: 405
Joined: 16.08.2018
Age: 15
With us: 2 years 8 months
Location: Southern California

Post #4by SpaceFanatic64 » 16.11.2019, 23:54

picture of the hour, unidentified cosmic turd
That was unnecessarily rude.
Follower of the "Celestia Origin" project
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics

Avatar
SevenSpheres
Moderator
Posts: 551
Joined: 08.10.2019
With us: 1 year 7 months

Post #5by SevenSpheres » 16.11.2019, 23:58

SpaceFanatic64 wrote:
picture of the hour, unidentified cosmic turd
That was unnecessarily rude.

Probably another troll/spammer.

krisztian, I'd suggest using Celestia Origin; it's a big improvement over Celestia's default models and textures.
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • (formerly) Contributing to development as much as I can • Discord server admin
PC specs: HP desktop, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i7-7700 (3.60 GHz), 16 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD + 128 GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 630
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2 (primary), 1.7.0 (latest build + some older ones)

Avatar
Lafuente_Astronomy
Moderator
Posts: 723
Joined: 04.08.2018
Age: 23
With us: 2 years 9 months
Location: Cebu City, Cebu Province, Philippines
Contact:

Post #6by Lafuente_Astronomy » 17.11.2019, 00:01

Post deleted. I was the one who approved it, since it was seemingly related to the topic at hand. My bad. But then again, "Cosmic turd" does sound accurate, if without the rudeness

Added after 2 minutes 18 seconds:
krisztian wrote:i create new images as they get used up. the generator virtual machine is started every 3-4 days, as needed. the lua script iterates through 100 random objects and takes screenshots. eventually you will see the same body, but from a different angle at a different time.

That's interesting. Perhaps the official Celestia Website could use such a thing but you must ask Alexell first
Official Administrator of the Celestia Discord Server.
Invite: https://discordapp.com/invite/WEWDcJh
If you don't have a Discord account, register here: https://discordapp.com/register
Have a blessed day.

Topic author
krisztian
Posts: 7
Joined: 06.04.2019
With us: 2 years 1 month

Post #7by krisztian » 17.11.2019, 09:09

unidentified cosmic turd

false. it is identified. ;)

SevenSpheres wrote:I'd suggest using Celestia Origin

i'll check that out, but no promises. at a glance, i see some minor problems. for example, it classifies planet 9 a regular "planet", but i'm not keen on showing hypothetical objects.

Avatar
LukeCEL
Posts: 365
Joined: 26.09.2017
With us: 3 years 7 months

Post #8by LukeCEL » 17.11.2019, 16:50

Lafuente_Astronomy wrote:That's interesting. Perhaps the official Celestia Website could use such a thing but you must ask Alexell first

Bit off topic, but I think Celestia website's screenshot gallery needs to include pictures of more types of objects.

Here are some URLs:

cel://Follow/Proxima Cen/2019-02-01T01:38:40.9504 ... 0&rf=2398103&lm=0&tsrc=0&ver=3 - view of Proxima Centauri
cel://Follow/NGC 5139/2019-02-01T01:59:43.74257?x ... f=3446679&lm=8192&tsrc=0&ver=3 - view of Omega Centauri, with Milky Way in the background
cel://Follow/Sol:Earth/1986-03-06T14:09:13.83592? ... 0&rf=3446679&lm=0&tsrc=0&ver=3 - close-up of Earth with Comet Halley in the background


Return to “Celestia Users”

Who is online