I want to ensure it will handle Celestia to my expectations, so I'm interested in what sort of performance different configurations experience in a standard situation. For this I've chosen an addon which performs very badly on my > 5 year old machine. This is the LEXX addon which seems to have a fairly high poly count..
If you have this addon, I would appreciate it if you would use it to measure your FPS on whatever hardware you have.
Use this URL: cel://Follow/Agena:Lexx/2012-02-24T12:31:54.60792?x=e/XaHehi/f///////////w&y=OVO4oOAZAQ&z=7CYsXPn8AQ&ow=0.85237&ox=0.0542533&oy=0.458306&oz=0.245923&select=Agena:Lexx&fov=25.6378&ts=1<d=0&p=0&rf=84375&lm=34816&tsrc=0&ver=3
You can get the addon here: http://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_addon_details.php?addon_id=858 if you don't have it.
Don't forget that it usually takes Celestia's FPS display at least a few seconds to settle down to a stable number when changing scenes.
Please give the following details:
Frames per second, and the following details about your machine...
1. Graphics card (Model / VRAM / any over-clocking)
2. amount of RAM
3. Processor / Speed
4. Screen Resolution
5. Type and/or speed of disk (eg. SSD, SATA1,2,3, PATA, IDE)
EDIT: Please also state what your anti-aliasing settings are set to. (eg anti-aliasing ON, 8x over-sampling.)
FYI, on my current (really ancient) machine, viewing the model from that URL gives me < 2 FPS :
1. Intel 82845G integrated graphics
2. 256MB RAM
3. 2.4 Ghz
4. 1280 x 1024
5. some sort of IDE drive (prob. 5400 rpm)
FWIW, the config I'm considering for the new build is:
- 1. Nvidia 560Ti Overclock, or Nvidia 560Ti Super Overclock
2. 8GB of 1600Mhz
3. Intel i7 2600K
4. Hoping to run at 2560 x 1440, but almost impossible to find decent (or any) monitors of that resolution here. (Most monitors here are dumbed down to 1080p)
5. SSD drive to hold the OS, Programs, and frequently used textures
6. Win7 64bit professional
- Asus P8Z68-V-PRO,
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4, or
If you have direct experience with any of this gear (esp. the mobos), your comments would also be appreciated.
Looking forward to your benchmark results / comments...