mars 32K maps: problems with surface maps

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
Topic author
MagicPoulp
Posts: 6
Joined: 30.03.2020
With us: 6 months 29 days

mars 32K maps: problems with surface maps

Post #1by MagicPoulp » 30.03.2020, 08:41

Please help me with surface maps.

I tried to load mars surface maps
http://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/mars.php

I could with the 16K from jester. with right click on mars it is selectable

But with the 32K, there are too many problems.
why so many zip files when the level 5 seems enough to make it work?
WHy is theree a Mars.ctx isolated file and where to put it ? it seems not needed.

How do I configure if a surface map is the default or not?

The 32K is not default automatically and is not selectable. It took over the normal surface.

I want the 16K to be default, not the 32K one.

And I would like to still keep the normal one.

so I want the 16K to be default, and that 3 are selectable via right click: normal (from celestial build), 16K, 32K.

Avatar
SevenSpheres
Moderator
Posts: 463
Joined: 08.10.2019
With us: 1 year

Post #2by SevenSpheres » 30.03.2020, 17:36

MagicPoulp wrote:But with the 32K, there are too many problems.
why so many zip files when the level 5 seems enough to make it work?

Higher levels require lower levels. If you want level 5 you need levels 0-4. For more information, see Selden's page on Virtual Textures and his brief how-to.

MagicPoulp wrote:WHy is theree a Mars.ctx isolated file and where to put it ? it seems not needed.

That does seem unnecessary, since Mars.ctx is included in Mars_L0123.zip.

MagicPoulp wrote:How do I configure if a surface map is the default or not?

The 32K is not default automatically and is not selectable. It took over the normal surface.

I want the 16K to be default, not the 32K one.

And I would like to still keep the normal one.

so I want the 16K to be default, and that 3 are selectable via right click: normal (from celestial build), 16K, 32K.

See Selden's page on Alternate Surface Textures.
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Contributing to development as much as I can • Discord server admin
PC specs: HP desktop, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i7-7700 (3.60 GHz), 16 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD + 128 GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 630
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2 (primary), 1.7.0 (latest build + some older ones)

Topic author
MagicPoulp
Posts: 6
Joined: 30.03.2020
With us: 6 months 29 days

Post #3by MagicPoulp » 30.03.2020, 20:12

Ah nice I could fix it thanks.

I am surprized the super red 16K looks sharper and nice than the dark 32K. Does anyone know why? Maybe it was modified with algorithms to make it look special?

Avatar
fyr02
Posts: 208
Joined: 19.04.2019
Age: 15
With us: 1 year 6 months
Location: San Diego, California (United States)

Post #4by fyr02 » 30.03.2020, 20:25

do you have a bump/normal for the 32k? this may be why the 16K looks sharper.
Image

Topic author
MagicPoulp
Posts: 6
Joined: 30.03.2020
With us: 6 months 29 days

Post #5by MagicPoulp » 31.03.2020, 07:19

ah thanks that is why
https://www.classe.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/textures.html#2.5
3.2.2: Mountains and Craters.


Return to “Help Central”

Who is online