Problem building from svn on osX

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
Topic author
ElChristou
Developer
Posts: 3776
Joined: 04.02.2005
With us: 15 years 4 months

Problem building from svn on osX

Post #1by ElChristou » 07.08.2010, 12:34

Hi there! I'm back for a quick question to resolve a problem I meet trying to build from source... (first try since my departure! I need a fresh build to test out a model...)

My actual config is Xcode 3.2.3 (64bit) under 10.6.4.

First of all, when updating via Terminal, I end with revision 5043 then get an additionnal info:

Code: Select all

Summary of conflicts:
  Skipped paths: 1


No idea of what is this and if it's normal. Anyway, in Xcode, I asked for an Universal_Release for i386 architecture. Build fail with 251 warnings and 40 errors, the same:

Code: Select all

Command /Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 failed with exit code 1


Chris or any osX guru, any hint on what's going on? :?

(For info, I went in the project info panel to verify the compiler version but it is already set to gcc 4.2)
Image

chris
Site Admin
Posts: 4211
Joined: 28.01.2002
With us: 18 years 4 months
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA

Re: Problem building from svn on osX

Post #2by chris » 07.08.2010, 16:49

I'll take a look at the Mac OS X project file in SVN. I've only built the Qt4 version on Mac lately, so the Xcode project may have gotten out of date.

--Chris

Topic author
ElChristou
Developer
Posts: 3776
Joined: 04.02.2005
With us: 15 years 4 months

Re: Problem building from svn on osX

Post #3by ElChristou » 11.08.2010, 17:22

Meanwhile, despite the source and Xcode, I think I remember we do need another download (Qt source?) to build a Qt version, is this still right?
Image

chris
Site Admin
Posts: 4211
Joined: 28.01.2002
With us: 18 years 4 months
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA

Re: Problem building from svn on osX

Post #4by chris » 11.08.2010, 18:10

ElChristou wrote:Meanwhile, despite the source and Xcode, I think I remember we do need another download (Qt source?) to build a Qt version, is this still right?

Sorry that I haven't had a chance to work on the Xcode project yet. To build the Qt version, you need the Qt SDK for Mac:

http://qt.nokia.com/downloads

It's big (584 megs!) because of the support for multiple architectures. Download and install it, start Qt Creator, and load celestia.pro. Then build and run.

--Chris

Topic author
ElChristou
Developer
Posts: 3776
Joined: 04.02.2005
With us: 15 years 4 months

Re: Problem building from svn on osX

Post #5by ElChristou » 12.08.2010, 18:34

Chris, in the Qt SDK installer we can do a custom install; are the debug libraries (1,1 Go) necessary for such a basic use as building Celestia? What about the headers, examples and documentation? May I skip them too? (If I can avoid any unnecessary install, better...)
Image

Topic author
ElChristou
Developer
Posts: 3776
Joined: 04.02.2005
With us: 15 years 4 months

Re: Problem building from svn on osX

Post #6by ElChristou » 16.08.2010, 21:16

chris wrote:...Download and install it, start Qt Creator, and load celestia.pro. Then build and run.

Too bad it wasn't that straight on my config! The compile output gives me:

Code: Select all

Could not find make command: make in the build environment
Error while building project celestia (target: Desktop)
When executing build step 'Make'


That sounds serious no? ^^
Image

Topic author
ElChristou
Developer
Posts: 3776
Joined: 04.02.2005
With us: 15 years 4 months

Re: Problem building from svn on osX

Post #7by ElChristou » 18.08.2010, 08:42

As the Qt compile process seems not that easy I'll wait for an efficient tutorial or something for the noobs!

Meanwhile, what about the osX version? Is there something I can do on my side to dig out what is wrong??
Image

chris
Site Admin
Posts: 4211
Joined: 28.01.2002
With us: 18 years 4 months
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA

Re: Problem building from svn on osX

Post #8by chris » 19.08.2010, 15:59

ElChristou wrote:
chris wrote:...Download and install it, start Qt Creator, and load celestia.pro. Then build and run.

Too bad it wasn't that straight on my config! The compile output gives me:

Code: Select all

Could not find make command: make in the build environment
Error while building project celestia (target: Desktop)
When executing build step 'Make'


That sounds serious no? ^^

This sounds like you may not have the developer tool set from Apple installed. The program 'make' should be included with that. I thought that 'make' and related tools got installed along with Xcode, but it's possible that they are in a separate package. I can't remember exactly which boxes I checked when installing Snow Leopard. You might want to check your OS install disks and see if there are some packages missing.

I'll work on the Xcode build some more today.

--Chris

Topic author
ElChristou
Developer
Posts: 3776
Joined: 04.02.2005
With us: 15 years 4 months

Re: Problem building from svn on osX

Post #9by ElChristou » 19.08.2010, 21:31

chris wrote:This sounds like you may not have the developer tool set from Apple installed. The program 'make' should be included with that. I thought that 'make' and related tools got installed along with Xcode, but it's possible that they are in a separate package. I can't remember exactly which boxes I checked when installing Snow Leopard. You might want to check your OS install disks and see if there are some packages missing.

To be sure: is the make command used by the osX building process? Or is this command something specific to the Qt environment? I ask because if the first case is true, the tools are present (Xcode DO build the osX version - with errors) and then it sounds like a path problem with Qt...
Image

Topic author
ElChristou
Developer
Posts: 3776
Joined: 04.02.2005
With us: 15 years 4 months

Re: Problem building from svn on osX

Post #10by ElChristou » 26.08.2010, 11:31

bump
Image

chris
Site Admin
Posts: 4211
Joined: 28.01.2002
With us: 18 years 4 months
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA

Re: Problem building from svn on osX

Post #11by chris » 27.08.2010, 17:28

ElChristou wrote:
chris wrote:This sounds like you may not have the developer tool set from Apple installed. The program 'make' should be included with that. I thought that 'make' and related tools got installed along with Xcode, but it's possible that they are in a separate package. I can't remember exactly which boxes I checked when installing Snow Leopard. You might want to check your OS install disks and see if there are some packages missing.

To be sure: is the make command used by the osX building process? Or is this command something specific to the Qt environment? I ask because if the first case is true, the tools are present (Xcode DO build the osX version - with errors) and then it sounds like a path problem with Qt...

When you install Xcode from the Snow Leopard DVD, you need to check the box 'Unix Dev Support'. Otherwise, the command line build tools needed by Qt4 (and lots of other software for developers) doesn't get installed. I think that these tools used to get installed automatically with Xcode, but they're a separate package on Snow Leopard. You can go back to the Xcode installer and add the Unix Dev Support tools if you didn't do it the first time.

--Chris

MiR
Posts: 247
Joined: 01.02.2010
With us: 10 years 4 months
Location: Germany

Re: Problem building from svn on osX

Post #12by MiR » 01.09.2010, 20:45

Hi Christophe,

don't know much about these things. It's always good if someone is interested and willingly to learn new skills.

But if I take a look at my Celestia/extras directory... I see a lot of your excellent models there. So I cannot understand why... oh, stop... ah, yes, 8O I see... on closer examination I realize that you couldn't be a real modeller. Your exceptional worked out models got such a very realistic touch... I just see it now: Also like Chris; i think he is even more than a developper. Take a simple look at Celestia... and all the other guys here, too; you are an artist, not a modeller.

Do not read this: Unfortunately artists in every field of knowledge are often... a little complicated. (and I hope I'll be one of those complicated guys sometime, of course :wink: ). It seems to me that this might be the price to pay for their extraordinarity. :lol:

So please stay tuned and many thanks for your wonderful work here for Celestia :-)

Best Regards
Michael

Topic author
ElChristou
Developer
Posts: 3776
Joined: 04.02.2005
With us: 15 years 4 months

Re: Problem building from svn on osX

Post #13by ElChristou » 03.09.2010, 08:38

MiR wrote:...Unfortunately artists in every field of knowledge are often... a little complicated.

You spotted it right!

Happy to see that someone still know about these models... I'm far from Celestia now and this compile issue makes me think it's better this way; I wanted to help someone with a fresh build and... too bad, impossible... That's so frustrating! So has you can see I'm still THAT anxious! :lol:

Anyway, Tx for the kind words!

--

Chris, haven't reinstall the Xcode unix package... will do that... soon! :roll:
Image


Return to “Help Central”

Who is online