Increase the size of galactic and star bases

Discussion forum for Celestia developers; topics may only be started by members of the developers group, but anyone can post replies.
LukeCEL
With us: 2 years 1 month

Post #21by LukeCEL » 26.03.2019, 06:24

The main source, Steinicke's NGC/IC catalog, is probably fine. However, I'm having trouble tracking down the supplementary sources. There might also be newer sources for nearby galaxies.

Topic author
Art Blos M
With us: 2 years 2 months

Post #22by Art Blos » 26.03.2019, 06:40

LukeCEL wrote:The main source, Steinicke's NGC/IC catalog, is probably fine. However, I'm having trouble tracking down the supplementary sources. There might also be newer sources for nearby galaxies.
I am very worried about how the tool calculates the orientation of the galaxy relative to the Earth. Or was the necessary information in the source?
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

LukeCEL

Post #23by LukeCEL » 27.03.2019, 20:01

Art Blos wrote:I am very worried about how the tool calculates the orientation of the galaxy relative to the Earth. Or was the necessary information in the source?

The tool takes the inclination and position angle of the galaxy. Those two are enough to position the plane of the galaxy, but you need a third parameter so the individual arms are in the right position. I don't think there is a standardized way to note this.

Topic author
Art Blos M

Post #24by Art Blos » 28.03.2019, 07:32

LukeCEL < I discovered the current location of the base from which our 10 thousand galaxies were taken. The old address is unavailable since 2007. May be helpful.
https://ngcicproject.org/

LukeCEL

Post #25by LukeCEL » 28.03.2019, 21:17

Not sure if this is the right link, I found http://www.klima-luft.de/steinicke/ngcic/ngcic_e.htm which has a download link for an XLS file. But I'll still look for more sources, especially related to distances and other properties.

Also, a bit off-topic, but a bunch of my add-ons finally got updated at the Motherlode! (See this page)

Topic author
Art Blos M

Post #26by Art Blos » 29.03.2019, 05:18

LukeCEL wrote:Not sure if this is the right link
This is the same site that was listed in the original file with the galaxies. The old one is accessible only from the web archive, and by the name of the project I managed to find out where it moved. The appearance of the main page has not changed since.

Return to “Ideas & News”